Sync to a TTL pulse and maximum strobe rate

Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:39 pm

Hello,

I'd like to sync a Skypanel to a squarewave shutter sync pulse from a camera (in order to strobe the Skypanel). I'm assuming I'd need to build some kind of DMX interface that sees the square wave and sends out a simple DMX signal to make the Skypanel strobe once. My questions around this are:

- Does anyone know of a device that takes a square wave signal (or even simple pulse of a voltage going high/low) and can then output a DMX signal?

- How quickly can a Skypanel be strobed? Assuming that this is probably dependent on the level of light output but is 500 Hz possible? Or 1000 Hz?

Best,

Stuart
stuetr

Re: Sync to a TTL pulse and maximum strobe rate

Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:59 pm

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for your post.

I'm not aware of any device out there that takes a square wave signal and then outputs DMX, but maybe some else out there has an idea for this.

In regard to how fast the SkyPanel can be strobed, there are several limitations. The first is the speed of DMX. If you are trying to sync to a shutter, DMX might not be the best protocol as it is not incredibly fast. Furthermore, there is no way, given SkyPanel's hardware, to allow for such a fast strobe or syncing to a shutter. I don't think it would be possible.

Sorry I am not able to help you further on this one.

- Mike Wagner
Senior Product Manager, ARRI
Mike Wagner

Return to LED fixtures