Mini 256g Cfast cards out Everywhere?

Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:57 am

I just bought a mini and am discovering there are no 256g lexar 3600 cfast cards available anywhere and some sites say they are discontinued. So i bought a few 128's but my question is - are the 512's supported? I know they will officially be in the future but will they work now?

Anyone have any leads on these 256g cards new?

PS - some sites say they have them in stock but if you call they really don't. I think I bought the last one available online at Sammys camera...
jakecamera
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:56 am

Re: Mini 256g Cfast cards out Everywhere?

Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:08 am

Hi Jake,

Lexar's parent company, Micron Technology has announced they are discontinuing their removable media business.
Last I read they're trying to sell off this part of their business. It could be that one of the other manufacturers(Sandisk, Transcend, Toshiba, Sony...) picks it up but we'll have to wait and see.

Regarding support for the 512s, I couldn't say, I'll have to leave that for one of my colleagues. Alternatively you can keep an eye on this page; http://www.arri.com/camera/amira/workfl ... _overview/


Regards,
Igor Barbosa
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:07 pm
Location: London

Re: Mini 256g Cfast cards out Everywhere?

Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:15 am

Igor Barbosa wrote:Hi Jake,

Lexar's parent company, Micron Technology has announced they are discontinuing their removable media business.
Last I read they're trying to sell off this part of their business. It could be that one of the other manufacturers(Sandisk, Transcend, Toshiba, Sony...) picks it up but we'll have to wait and see.

Regarding support for the 512s, I couldn't say, I'll have to leave that for one of my colleagues. Alternatively you can keep an eye on this page; http://www.arri.com/camera/amira/workfl ... _overview/


Regards,


Hello Igor,

It is possible in future "Angelbird 512GB AVpro XT SATA 3.1 CFast Memory Card" is supported?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... 512gb.html

Thank you.
Felix
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:53 am

Re: Mini 256g Cfast cards out Everywhere?

Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:07 pm

Hi Felix,

I'm afraid I dont know. Keep an eye on this thread and the page I linked above for further updates!



Regards,
Igor Barbosa
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:07 pm
Location: London

Re: Mini 256g Cfast cards out Everywhere?

Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:15 pm

Dear Felix,

we are not able to support "just every other card".
For many cards the specs read nice, but when we stress them with our bandwith-demands they simply burn up.
That is why we stresstest every lineup of CFAST cards very meticulously that are being certified for use in our cameras.

You can compare it to trusting Kodak or Fuji with being your raw-stock: Runs smoothly, doesn't jam > happy customer.

Cheers,
Jan
Jan Heugel
Application Engineer
Jan Heugel
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:15 pm
Location: Munich, Germany

Re: Mini 256g Cfast cards out Everywhere?

Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:41 am

Jan Heugel wrote:Dear Felix,

we are not able to support "just every other card".
For many cards the specs read nice, but when we stress them with our bandwith-demands they simply burn up.
That is why we stresstest every lineup of CFAST cards very meticulously that are being certified for use in our cameras.

You can compare it to trusting Kodak or Fuji with being your raw-stock: Runs smoothly, doesn't jam > happy customer.

Cheers,
Jan


Hello Jan,

Thank you for your reply. I completely understand any card needs to go through rigorous testing. Capturing the RAW footage smoothly without any problem is always paramount.

I am wondering and hoping if a 512GB card can be supported on Arri Mini in future. I have plans to shoots a feature entirely on Arri mini. At the present moment looking at the supported list, the max card size is 256. I wonder how many card would I need to purchase if I plan to shoot on ARRIRAW. Maybe 6-8 Cards?

As with a small team (may not have the luxury to hire a DIT), we may not be able to offload the RAWs from the card to HDD on set and clear out the cards to be ready to be use again. We may only have to option to clear the card end of the day.

If a 512GB card can be supported, it will really be helpful to shoot more footage.

I believe you are also aware of Atoch C2S CFast to SSD Solution for Blackmagic URSA mini pro.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... o_ssd.html

It is not my intention to talk about a product from another brand. Third Party manufacturers have made an add on for BMD's camera to support SSD.

I wondering if a product like above can be made for ARRI Mini to support SSD. It is really be helpful for Independent Filmmaker who may not have the budget or access to have the big ALEXA in their production. I understand the ALEXA supports bigger storage size. If ARRI Mini can have a module to support SSD, would be helpful to everyone.

Thank You.
Felix
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:53 am

Re: Mini 256g Cfast cards out Everywhere?

Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:17 am

jakecamera wrote:are the 512's supported? I know they will officially be in the future but will they work now?

Hi jakecamera. Yes, Micron sent the entire Lexar staff home and discontinued their products. Their 512 GB 3500x card is incompatible to our cameras. We are working intensively on the support of new cards, which should become available before the end of the year. You can get an overview of supported cards at: http://www.arri.com/camera/alexa_mini/w ... _overview/
Oliver Temmler
Product Specialist Camera Systems/Product Manager Storage Media
ARRI Munich
Oliver Temmler
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:16 pm
Location: Munich, Germany

Re: Mini 256g Cfast cards out Everywhere?

Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:33 am

Hi Felix,

we are, of course, working on the support of higher capacity cards, but as you correctly said, it does not go without rigorous testing.

If you want to figure out the number of cards you'll need, you can use our data rate calculator to compute the GB/hour of footage. Then try to anticipate what shooting ratio you will have and you will know the minimum amount of cards to purchase, to get through a day of shooting.
http://www.arri.com/camera/alexa_mini/t ... alculator/

I understand your desire for a CFast-to-SSD adapter, but it only defers the qualification issue to SSDs and creates a number of collateral problems.
Oliver Temmler
Product Specialist Camera Systems/Product Manager Storage Media
ARRI Munich
Oliver Temmler
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:16 pm
Location: Munich, Germany

Return to ALEXA Mini