120 fps & SxS PRO 64 GB cards with ALEXA SUP 5.0
The release of SUP 5.0 marks another milestone in the continual process of expanding and refining the ALEXA toolset. This latest software update incorporates a range of improvements to the already versatile functionality of ARRI ALEXA cameras, but perhaps the most eagerly anticipated new feature is an option to purchase a High Speed mode that permits high speed shooting at up to 120 fps.
With the release of SUP 5.0, ALEXA customers now have the option to purchase a High Speed mode from the ALEXA License Shop, allowing slow motion shooting in ProRes codecs up to 422 HQ (16:9). This 120 fps test footage was shot earlier in the year, during the development stages.
Following the Anamorphic Desqueeze license, High Speed mode is the second ALEXA software upgrade to be made available as a license. While SUP 5.0 - with its many other improvements - is a free update for ALEXA customers, the High Speed mode it enables is an entirely new feature and can only be activated through the purchase of a license key at the ALEXA License Shop. Each license key is coded to a particular camera and can be selectively enabled or disabled, allowing rental facilities control over which cameras are sent out with High Speed mode.
High Speed mode allows ALEXA cameras to capture slow motion images using Apple ProRes codecs (up to 422 HQ 16:9) and Sony 64 GB SxS PRO cards, eliminating the expense of carrying a separate high speed camera. By using the same Super 35 sensor area as Regular Speed mode, High Speed mode maintains the same depth of field and angle of view for all lenses, along with ALEXA's wide exposure latitude, high sensitivity, natural colorimetry and organic, film-like image quality.
Recording such high data rates requires the use of SONY's new SxS PRO 64 GB cards. These cards are built to the same tough reliability and environmental standards as the SxS PRO 32 GB cards, while offering twice the recording capacity and over twice the data rates. Even without the High Speed license, the SxS PRO 64 GB cards allow recording of ProRes 4444 at 60 fps (with SUP 5.0).
The new SxS PRO 64 GB cards are available for purchase directly from ARRI. Contact your local sales representative for special rates and bundle deals.
Other key features of ALEXA SUP 5.0:
* 60 fps ARRIRAW over 3G Dual Link
* 60 fps HD-SDI 4:4:4 over 3G Dual Link
* 60 fps ProRes 4444 when using SxS PRO 64 GB cards
* Horizontal Image Mirroring (3D)
* ARRI Look Files for playback of QuickTime/ProRes Log C files
* Reel & clip number on MON OUT
* Secure camera display dimming
* Active look indication
* Dual record error handling
* Open Camera Access (OCA) initiative
* Support for Lens Data Display for Focus Puller (ALEXA Plus only)
Other Top Stories >>
- ARRI Events at Berlinale 2018
- DP Michael Latham chooses ALEXA Mini
- ARRI Lighting Illuminates Sundance
- ARRI launches large-format camera system
- SkyPanels light up Dodger Stadium press box
- ARRI video interviews at Camerimage 25
- THE LAST JEDI: Steve Yedlin ASC on SkyPanels
- ARRI LEDs illuminate studios in Nairobi
- ARRI celebrates opening of ARRI CT France
- ARRI AMIRA and Master Prime lenses down under