LIFE OF PI
With themes concerning God, hope and survival, LIFE OF PI’s ideas are epic, with incredible visuals to match. Widely regarded as an “unfilmable” novel, LIFE OF PI follows a boy’s spiritual journey across the Pacific Ocean on a lifeboat, accompanied by a tiger. Director Ang Lee decided early on that his film adaptation needed to go beyond a typical movie experience by originating in 3D stereoscopic. In order to help bring the ambitious script to the big screen, Lee brought on board cinematographer Claudio Miranda, ASC, who shot the film using six ALEXA cameras paired on three Cameron Pace Fusion 3D rigs with ARRI / Zeiss Master Prime lenses.
Explore our various materials on the visually breathtaking film LIFE OF PI.
LIFE OF PI wins two BAFTA Awards
Claudio Miranda, ASC, takes home the Best Cinematography prize, while LIFE OF PI also wins Best Special Visual Effects at the 2013 British Academy Film Awards in London.
Claudio Miranda, ASC, on LIFE OF PI
The talented cinematographer tells ARRI about materializing images and emotions on a grand scale and in 3D for LIFE OF PI, using six ALEXAs and Master Primes.
In your own words >>
DP Claudio Miranda, ASC
LIFE OF PI
Other Top Stories >>
- ARRI at Camerimage 2015
- Taipei Golden Horse Film Festival
- AMIRA on French climate change documentary
- ALEXA Mini: nimble as a cat
- REED MORANO ASC on MEADOWLAND
- Master Anamorphics at speed
- Interview: cinematographer Xiaofei Song
- A full ARRI package on HITMAN: AGENT 47
- ALEXA 65 productions ramp up
- Wide-angle anamorphic perspectives