AMIRA Frequently Asked Questions
Welcome the frequently asked questions about the AMIRA camera system. This FAQ pertains to all AMIRA models. Directions given are always from the operator’s point of view. To avoid redundancy, information contained in the AMIRA manuals will not be duplicated here. For questions, suggestions or comments regarding this FAQ, send an email to email@example.com.
1. Questions functional
- Are CF or CFast cards other than CFast 2.0, compatible with AMIRA?
No cards other than CFast 2.0 cards are compatible with AMIRA.
- Are CFast 2.0 cards, other than the ones offered by ARRI, compatible with AMIRA?
ARRI is continuously testing CFast 2.0 cards from various manufactures. You find the complete list of supported cards here: www.arri.com/camera/amira/workflow/supported_recording_media_overview/
- With SUP 2.0 when using SanDisk CFast 2.0 cards, the overall capacity is lower than indicated by the card and with previous SUPs?
The capacity of SanDisk CFast 2.0 cards is intentionally limited by 5% to ensure maximum recording performance in all card states.
- Will CFast readers other than the CFast 2.0 reader sold by ARRI, work with the CFast 2.0 cards from AMIRA?
Yes, other readers following the CFast standard work with CFast 2.0 cards from AMIRA.
- Which Looks are delivered with the AMIRA?
The following are the standard looks loaded on the camera.
Please note that X2 ALEXA look is only supported by AMIRA Premium.
- LCC – a Rec 709 alternative to LogC for quick and easy grading
- Commercial – a brighter Look for nice skin tones
- Vibrant - boost color saturation but not red and yellow
- Landscape - steeper contrast curve
- X2 ALEXA Look (3DLUT, Premium only) for a perfect match to ALEXA Rec709
With SUP 2.0 two new looks are included:
- TV neutral – a Rec 709 like look, which is more saturated in colors with slightly lower blacks
- TV warm – same as TV neutral, just with a little bit warmer look overall
- How can I create Looks to be loaded* into AMIRA?
AMIRA Looks can be created with ARRI Color Tool. This tool is available for free on our website. The AMIRA Color Tool, as well as a bundle of demo look files are available on the download section of the AMIRA website.
* This function is available for AMIRA Advanced or Premium only.
- Can I modify the loaded Looks within the camera?
Yes, Looks can be modified within the AMIRA camera. All CDL and video parameters can be adjusted.
- Can Looks be exported and loaded* in other AMIRAs?
Yes, Looks can be saved on a USB stick and loaded into other AMIRA cameras.
* This function is available for AMIRA Advanced or Premium only.
- Can the Advanced or Premium license be disabled or removed from the camera and later on be re-activated or reloaded?
Yes, the permanent AMIRA licenses can be deleted from the camera and later on be reloaded from a USB stick. This is not possible for temporary licenses.
- When shooting high speed frame rates, am I save for any flickering issues if I use Tungsten fixtures?
Tungsten fixtures in the range of 1000 W and below can show pulsing light. Typically this is not visible with the human eye, and it is also hard to see in the viewfinder, but it can result in visible flickering effects on the recorded footage when shooting with high frame rates. Depending on shutter/exposure time, this may be true for frame rates above around 100fps. Tungsten fixtures of larger size do not show this effect, as the light pulsing is more sluggish here.
- Can I upgrade all AMIRA models with the 4K UHD license?
Yes, all AMIRA models can be upgraded with the 4K UHD license. This requires an installed SUP 2.0 and a 4K UHD calibrated camera.
- How do I know if my camera is 4K UHD calibrated?
If you are not sure whether your camera is already calibrated for 4K UHD, there is a general rule: cameras manufactured in 2014 DO NOT include a 4K UHD calibration, whereas cameras produced in 2015 typically DO. Please bear in mind, however, that the date of manufacture is different from the delivery date. If in doubt, you can check the calibration status of your camera at the ARRI License Shop.
- How can I check the 4K UHD calibration status of my camera?
Please go to the ARRI License Shop and select the 4K UHD license.
Upload the “HW-info” file of your camera when asked to do so (see alshop.arri.de/index/aboutipkgamira for more details). Once uploaded, “Calibrated” or “Not calibrated” will be shown.
- If my camera is not calibrated, how do I get the 4K UHD calibration?
If your camera is not calibrated, there is a link in the ARRI AMIRA license shop to log a service request with an ARRI service center, for those whose camera was purchased direct from ARRI. If you purchased your camera from a dealer, please contact the dealer to proceed.
- Can I purchase the 4K UHD license if my camera is not yet 4K UHD calibrated?
You can purchase the 4K UHD license at the ARRI License Shop at any time, whether your camera is calibrated or not. However, it will only be possible to activate 4K UHD recording once the calibration has been completed and SUP 2.0 has been installed.
- For the 6G UHD SDI output, do I need a specific SDI cable?
Yes, for a stable and clean signal, a 4.5 GHz cable is mandatory. You can use this cable (also sold by ARRI): "Belden Video Brilliance 1505F HD-SDI High Flex Precision Video Cable 4.5 GHz", or any other cable meeting the same specifications.
- What impact does the 4K UHD denoising option have on the image?
The AMIRA image denoising (under menu/system/sensor) is minimizing temporal redundancies in consecutive images. It is reducing the noise in a very organic way and perfectly preserves the character and texture of the image. There is also no impact on image sharpness. With the setting "strong" there might be motion artifacts become visible with heavy motion.
2. Questions electronics
- What power output options are provided with the AMIRA?
- D-tab 12V (on both Gold-mount and V-Lock battery adapters),
- Hirose 4pin 12V,
- Lemo 2pin 12V
- RS 24V
- Hirose 12pin interface for ENG lenses incl. the Fujinon Cabrio zooms.
- For which lenses is the 12/20-pin Hirose ENG Lense Cable Short (K2.0001268) needed for?
Both the AMIRA "PL Mount" and the "B4 Mount" do include a 12-pin Hirose connector. When using a ENG style lens with PL mount (like the Fujinon Cabrio lenses or the Canon CN7x17) the cable is used to connect the lens with the camera body to provide power for the lens motors and to support certain functions on the handgrip of the lens. Power is also provided by the LDS contacts when using "PL LDS Mount".
When using a B4-mount lens either with the "PL to B4 Adapter" or the "B4 Mount", the cable is needed to connect the lens for power and certain handgrip functions.
- What is the input voltage of the AMIRA?
The input voltage tolerance for batteries or bat power input is ranging from 10,5 – 34 Volt.
- What can the USB interface be used for?
Each AMIRA comes with a USB stick, which can be used for data files import and export. This can be Look files, user setup files, frame grabs, licenses, manual, software updates and more. Please note that USB sticks cannot be formatted within the camera but need to be FAT 32 formatted on a computer device to be used with AMIRA.
The connectors do also support USB power.
3. Questions mechanical and accessories
- For putting onto a tripod, what do I need as counterpart to the WPA-1?
The WPA-1 is dedicated to use on Quicklock support systems like the new QRP-1 but also on previous models like the "Quick Release HD baseplate" or also other solutions like the Sony VCT-U14 and similar.
(The QR-HD1 19mm or 15mm Studio support will not work with Amira and WPA-1)
- What would I need the BPA-3 for?
The BPA-3 opens the world to the standard camera mounting plates like the BP-8 or BP-9. It includes the appropriate connectors and provides the correct measurements for 19mm (or 15mm Studio) rods.
- What functions are provided by the UAP-2?
The UAP-2 is perfect for mounting on Steadicam or for a more cine-style operation. It can be mounted on top side of the camera as well as bottom side in the same way including the sliding mechanism. On top side, the “UAP-2 Set” provides all needed to mount the viewfinder with the VAP-1 to the 15mm top rods. When using UAP-2 at the bottom you could attach a touch and go plate 35 or 16mm so you could put the AMIRA directly on a fluid head.
The plate offers a variety of 3/82 and 1/4" threads for accessories. The CCH-1 is the handle from the Alexa. A 15mm LWS is build in the UAP-2. The 15mm LWS can be used from the top or the bottom.
- What shoulder belt can I use with the Shoulder Belt Adapter SBA-1?
Shoulder belts using the same connectors as provided on Sony ENG cameras can be attached.
- What is the Viewfinder Adapter VFA-2 used for?
The viewfinder adapter VFA-2 is for using the viewfinder independent to the standard mount, by using the VFA-2 together with a Noga arm or a similar device. It provides one 3/8" and one 1/4" interface thread.
- What is the weight of AMIRA?
The AMIRA camera is in the 4.1 kg range including the PL lens mount, and about 5.3 kg including viewfinder, battery mount and a camera base plate.
Other cameras may start with lower body weight, but in order to reach acceptable ergonomics, appropriate accessories are needed with additional weight in the range of 1-2 kg. This will raise the total weight remarkably, but nevertheless will not bring the ergonomics to the same high level as AMIRA.
- What is the difference between the PL to B4 adapter and the B4 mount?
The PL to B4 adapter is used with the PL mount on the camera. It has a magnification of 2.8x, which results in 2.5+ stops reduced exposure. It offers a flexible solution, which also can be used on other PL mount cameras with S35 sensor size.
The B4 mount is in exchange with the PL or EF mount. It has a magnification of 2.5x, which results in 2.5+ stops reduced exposure. It offers the best possible optical quality, is more stable and a little shorter in length. Changing a mount on AMIRA can be done on set and within about 40 seconds.
Both solutions result in a 2/3’ camera like depth of field, and not the shallow depth of field of S35 cameras. All benefits of the superior AMIRA image quality remain though.
- How do I control iris with EF lenses with electronic iris control?
AMIRA (with SUP 1.1 or later) supports controlling the iris through the camera UI with the AMIRA EF mount connected. There are several options to do so, please check the AMIRA Menu or the AMIRA manual for details.
- Which EF lenses are supported for the electronic iris control through the AMIRA EF mount?
As there is a huge variety of manufacturers, lens types and levels of iris control integration for EF lenses, we cannot 100% ensure that each and every lens will work correctly. We continuously test various lenses and have a list of tested lenses available on request.
ARRI TECH TALK >>
Working with AMIRA Log C ProRes material in AVID Media Composer 8.1. How to work with AMIRA Look’s with custom 3D LUT’s combined with CDL grading.