Software Update Package (SUP) 5.3
- EVF Power Option 'ON'
Offers the option to override the proximity sensor of the ALEXA Mini Viewfinder MVF-1 and constantly enable the viewfinder display.
- WCU-4 User Buttons 5 and 6
The ALEXA Mini camera menu offers the assignment of additional two WCU-4 user buttons for even more flexibility and efficiency on set.
- Camera Access Protocol (CAP) Enhancements
Much functionality has been added to the Camera Access Protocol such as full playback control, control of timecode options and access to clip metadata.
Additionally included – all prior features starting from SUP 5.0
- False Color Mode
False Color to show exposure levels based on monitoring processing or based on Log C
- Viewfinder Gamma Option
Gamma options Standard (SUP4) and Lifted (SUP5)
- User Buttons for Audio Gain Control
User buttons (increase/decrease) to control audio gain of audio channel 1 or audio channels 1+2
- Green Tally for Multicam Mode
Support of green tally command via Telnet or Camera Access Protocol (CAP)
- Support of new Recording Media
SanDisk Extreme PRO CFast 2.0 128GB (SDCFSP-128G-xxxD)
SanDisk Extreme PRO CFast 2.0 256GB (SDCFSP-256G-xxxD)
ARRI Look Library
ARRI is introducing an exciting new way to implement high-quality looks. The ARRI Look Library puts on-set look management within the reach of all productions, not just those with the time and budget to develop bespoke looks prior to shooting.
Offering 87 looks in three intensities, the ARRI Look Library caters to a huge variety of different shooting scenarios.
EXT Sync for Multi-camera Shoots
The EXT Sync function allows the sensors and operational parameters of up to 15 ALEXA Mini cameras to be synchronized to a master ALEXA Mini. Slaves can assume parameters like the frame rate, shutter angle, or ND setup of the master camera, which also provides a status summary of all cameras. Facilitated by new cables and EDB-2 distribution boxes, EXT Sync simplifies the configuration and control of multi-camera 3D, VR and VFX applications in a way that permits the entire multi-camera setup to be operated as if it was one single camera.
Master Grip Support
The capabilities of the ARRI Master Grips has also been expanded upon with 3-axis control of ENG lenses and the option to configure Master Grip user buttons. The ability to adjust focus and iris of EF mount lenses using Master Grips allows for an interesting package solution for documentary and handheld operators, who prefer smaller EF lenses due to their weight and cost.
- Wireless transfer of lens files
Previously, lens files from lenses mapped for use with the ARRI Lens Data System had to be manually transferred to the ALEXA Mini via a USB stick. Now, users can select a lens file stored on the SD card in their WCU-4 and – using just the hand unit – wirelessly transmit the file to the ALEXA Mini, saving time and effort.
Wireless lens file transfer is also useful in situations when setup times are short and the camera becomes inaccessible straight after a lens change, for example when rigged on a crane or car mount. The AC can mount the lens and then do the rest of the setup, from lens calibration to lens files transfer, remotely.
- Wireless playback control
Full remote playback control is now possible from the WCU-4. This allows users to wirelessly select, play back and shuttle through any clip from the CFast 2.0 card in the ALEXA Mini without needing direct access to the camera, which again is useful when it is rigged in a hard-to-reach location. Both this feature and the wireless transfer of lens files will be made available to other ARRI cameras with future software upgrades.
- Wireless user setups
SUP 5.0 extends the user setup feature of the ALEXA Mini, which allows all user-defined settings to be stored in a single file. Partial settings are now possible using five parameter groups, enabling more flexible and more specific control, and the camera can now store various different setups. Most importantly, these user setups can be wirelessly accessed and activated from the WCU-4, permitting ACs and drone operators to rapidly switch camera settings remotely, for example shifting from ProRes to ARRIRAW recording or activating various looks from ALEXA Mini’s internal ARRI Look Library.
- Load and modify looks in Multicam mode (incl. new Look Library)
- Dual 6G support (4K up to 60p)
- EF lens support for RCP iris control
- Return switch command in SDI meta-data
- WiFi infrastructure support (connection to external access point)
Camera Access Protocol
- Control of look and operational parameters
- IP based API – Ethernet and WiFi
- Incl. CAP 1.0 standard as ALEXA SXT (look parameters)
- Extends the protocol to also control operational parameters
- Available through the ARRI Partner Program
- We are showing Pomfort LiveGrade Air
Further Features and Refinements
The general abilities of EF lenses have been expanded upon with SUP 5.0. A much wider range of lenses is now supported, including control of focus and iris, and the use of image stabilizers. This will be of particular interest to gimbal and drone operators who often use EF lenses due to their lighter weight and who can now make mid-flight adjustments to focus and aperture with the WCU-4.
Additional features include support of 1.3x anamorphic lenses, easier and more stable timecode synchronization, a new concept for handling user setups, support for WiFi infrastructure mode, multiple monitoring and display improvements, as well as better integration with the ARRI Electronic Control System.
Monitoring and Display Improvements
- Lifted MVF-1 gamma to better control lighting in dark areas
- Higher shuttle speeds in playback.
- Playback and user setup control for Starlite HD5-ARRI
- ARRI Look files V2 to support Rec 2020 color space
- New SDI configurations:
- Non-integer framerates on AMIRA
- Dual 422 & 444 3G output
- Dual 422 6G output
- Level a/b support for 3G SDI
- Each SDI out can be Look, Rec709 or LogC
- Update LBUS devices via camera
- cForce motors, LCUBE, and Master Grips
- Auto detection of motor gear teeth count.
- Lens data unit conversion in meta-data between metric and imperial.
- Deactivation of LDS contacts to deal with faulty lenses or compatibility issues.
Improved Timecode Handling
- Addition of jam sync mode
- Internal tuning of clock to minimize drift
- Reports completion of jam sync process
- Stays in sync with TC source for 8 hours minimum
- Free run recovery after high speed
- TC clock is kept alive during off-speed recording
- No re-jamming needed when switching back to regular speed
Advanced Setup Handling
- The new user setup system allows for more fine-grained control:
- User setups can be managed in camera.
- USB stick is only needed to transfer setups.
- Parameter blocks can be selected when saving the setup.
- Parameter blocks:
- Format: recording mode incl. codec, resolution, frameline
- Scene: operational settings eg. EI, WB, fps, shutter
- Lens: lens setup eg. Active lens, LDA settings
- User: user specific settings eg. user button assignments
WiFi Infrastructure Client Mode
- Join a WiFi network created by an external hub
- Configure network via a QR code (point the camera at QR code)
- Enables set based network infrastructures
- Allows access to multiple cameras from a single device
- Resolves range issues by placing repeaters close to the camera
- Simplified Chinese UI
- Display of horizon, numeric tilt and roll in EVF and SDI outputs
- Frame grabs are possible during playback and recording
- OLED of MVF-1 can be switched off in cases where the viewfinder needs to be covered
- List based settings like framerate and white balance can now be controlled via user buttons
ALEXA Mini Software Update Package 5.4
|11 Jun 2018||ALEXA Mini - Quick Guide
Download (pdf, 4.67 MB)
ALEXA Mini - SUP Software Archive
|11 Jun 2018||ALEXA Mini SUP 5.3.23 26107
|19 Jun 2018||ALEXA Mini SUP 5.3 - Release Notes
Download (pdf, 1 MB)
|11 Jun 2018||ALEXA Mini SUP 5.3 - User Manual
Download (pdf, 10.52 MB)